VEGETABLE TANNED LEATHER
The leather used in our Simple Collection is vegetable-tanned. An old artisan process based on the use of natural tannins that are found in trees and vegetables to produce long lasting distinguishable leather that retains inherent features and has a rich depth of colour.
Colour variation is inevitable with vegetable-tanned leather, as there are no synthetic chemicals used in this process to control consistency. After years of working with leather, it is something we have grown to appreciate and value highly.
Vegetable-tanned leather will continue to evolve through time. It will respond to light, as well as the oils and moisture in your hands, which means your product will age beautifully as the colour darkens and the leather develops a unique patina through use.
Our vegetable-tanned leather comes from Tuscany, a region of Italy that has been using traditional methods to produce some of the world’s finest leather for generations.
We are proud to only use tanneries that are members of the Genuine Italian Vegetable Tanned Leather Consortium, which monitors standards of production to ensure a high quality article and low impact on the environment:
- No animal is killed for its skin. On the contrary, the raw hides used by our tanneries are the discarded by-products of the food industry producing meat for human consumption.
- Being tanned with natural tannins, a vegetable-tanned leather object can be easily disposed of at the end of its life, thanks to its chemical-biological characteristics.
- Our tanneries have made huge investments in depuration systems and waste recycling that make them work in full respect of man and the environment.
- Many of the substances used during the tanning process are recovered, recycled and re-used in different fields. Hair removed from raw hides is transformed into agricultural fertilizer; sludge produced by the depuration plants is reused in the construction field to make bricks.
- Vegetable-tanned leather, recognizable from its trademark, does not contain any toxic substance such as azo-dyes, nickel, PCP or chrome VI
To read more about the Genuine Italian Vegetable Tanned Leather Consortium please follow the link below: